Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

i had a house fire in march i was renting the home and am on ssi disabilty i had no renters insurance and took a total complete loss,the local fire department could not find a cause so they classified it undetermined but now i recived a summons that i am being sued by the home owners insurance co. for 26,000 and i cant even affored a lawyer,nor do i know what type of lawyer i need...plz help!

Asked on 10/18/11, 1:02 pm

2 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Either you need to hire a lawyer, or defend against the suit yourself. You have to file an answer within 20 days of being served with summons. If you need additional time, you need to call the attorney who filed suit and ask for additional time. Otherwise they will seek default judgment against you. You might even have a counterclaim for damages if something the landlord did or didn't do turns out to have caused the fire, causing your losses.

I think by your zip code, you're in Jefferson County. Contact your local Legal Aid office and your bar association about available pro bono services.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/11, 9:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky