Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

I have a student loan that is in default status. The debt collector called Van Ru has been in contact with me and I have spoken to atleast 3 people about the situation. Every time it was concluded that they would send me contingency papers, but every time they failed to send them out. All I had to do was sign and date and send them back in order to make low monthly payments due to my low income. The last time I spoke to someone I brought this up and she said to mail her a pay check stub to confirm income. I don't trust them with my info since they are now threatening to garnish wages and have sent papers that they will do so in 30 days. Are they allowed to do this even though I've talked to them a few times about the matter and they never sent me the papers out to settle this matter? The last person I spoke to even confirmed to me that they had failed to send papers out. Now, since I haven't faxed them a pay check stub, they are threatening wage garnishment. I'm not sure what to do. I would be in great financial hardship if they do this, but I do not trust them enough to give them my financial information. They have also been calling at my workplace. My employer has told them repeatedly that I cannot receive personal calls at work and they still call nonetheless. Any advice?

Asked on 8/29/11, 10:42 am

2 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

You should seek local counsel to deal with this for you, and handle their violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. That's exactly why they want your paystub -- to save themselves time in garnishing your wages.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/11, 11:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky