Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kentucky

what can my elderly parents do to get their 38 yr old son put in jail ASAP? He is an IV drug abuser, and has stolen everything they have, all their jewelry, collectables, including all their money! They have been trying to help him get on his feet, have gotten a 2nd mortgage on their house, and he has stolen their debit card info, gotten cash back, depleted all their accounts, and not they are 2 mo. behind on their mortgage and car payment!

They have obtained records from the bank and credit union, given them to a police detective, met with det. many times, been told for the last month that they will arrest him, and nothing has happened yet. The detective told my father that even though my brother has stolen many thousands of dollars, he might only get 1 year in jail! What can we do to get him sent away for many years?

Asked on 6/21/12, 1:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Sounds like you need to contact the Commonwealth's Attorney (the prosecutor's office) to push this through. They also need to get a civil attorney who can assist them in pursuing restitution and helping them with the identity theft and issues with the bank. That attorney may also be able to lean on the Commonwealth to not just let him plead down to some misdemeanor. Your brother is a serious addict and has destroyed not only his own life, but those around him. He needs to be in a facility where he can get help before he ends up killing himself, and it sounds like that is going to be jail.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/12, 7:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kentucky