Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

I recently moved out of state with my daughter. My ex finally decided to file for joint custody he been threaten me to take my daughter because he has a better job. I been her primary provider since she was born. Pls help me. Can I get in trouble for moving out of state ?

Asked on 11/18/15, 1:23 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

If there was no prior existing court case that defined custodial arrangements, you should not have an issue with moving out of state as concerns the court holding you in contempt. If there was an existing case, you need to consult with an attorney soon. If he is filing a new case in KY he can still ask for the child to come live with him in KY (if the child has not been out of KY for more than 6 months), but the court will look at what is in the child's best interest to make that decision. The fact you primarily cared for the child and the reason for the move will be big factors in the court's decision. Either way consult with an attorney soon.

Read more
Answered on 11/18/15, 3:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky