Legal Question in Criminal Law in Louisiana

I have 2 misdemeanors and a felony, which were on seperate court dates. I took a guilty plea for the misdemeanors and have been on probation for 3 months. Im taking the felony to trial, which has been getting pushed back for 2 years. The court has offered me numerous plea deals but I will not accept. The judge's exact words to me were "If you don't want to accept this plea for the felony, then I'm bringing the misdemeanors back up." Can they legally do that or would that be considered double jeopardy?

Asked on 3/18/23, 9:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

You have a felony charge. You should have a lawyer. If you cannot afford one the court should appoint a public defender. You need this expertise with all the facts. If there is an exception or reason why this is not double jeopardy, it lies in the case facts.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/23, 9:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Louisiana