Legal Question in Criminal Law in Louisiana

Hi Im a a tier II sex offender convicted of forcible rape when I 20 for sleeping with a 17 year old girl when we'd both been drinking during a 1 night stand the sex was consensual but because there was alcohol involved it constituted force as she was 17. I did 5 years in prison and was sentenced to register for life. Im 37 now have had no problems with the law, have successfully registered each month and partially completed rehab while in jail only stopping as I got released. My question is if there is any way I may be able to apply to have less restrictions on my registration. Ive been registering for 12 years and Ive heard about SO"s being granted pardons, partial pardons, less restrictions or less time to register and was wondering if that may apply to my case and if so how I can go about it?

Asked on 2/03/17, 2:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

There are Louisiana lawyers working right now, both in Louisiana, and nationwide to solve this issue for people like you. When sex-offender registry laws were first written, it was treated as a "one size fits all" blanket. Courts are learning to distinguish the difference between someone like you and someone who has sex with young children. Check the website for the Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( I assure you that there are lawyers willing to work with you.

Read more
Answered on 2/04/17, 6:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Louisiana