Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

My brother's wife left him for another man. She is living in adultery with him. My brother doesn't believe in divorce and told her that she isn't getting one. My brother didn't do anything wrong and wants her back. They have been married for 27 years. What can my brother do to get her back? Can he sue the lover for taking away the mother of his kids. This is causing a financial burden as well, not to mention abandoning her own kids. They live in Louisiana where supposedly adultery is not illegal.

Asked on 9/10/16, 9:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Adultery is no longer illegal in Louisiana. If his wife is in the military, it still is a military crime. He can either divorce her or not. Louisiana has "no-fault" divorce. She might divorce him after living apart for 6 months (1 year if any of the kids are under 18). Divorcing her might be a sound economic move because of community property laws.

Read more
Answered on 9/11/16, 6:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana