Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

My husband and I recently divorced. He was fired from his job today and wanting me to sign papers for him to get his 401K. Am I entitled to a portion of his money due to we were married the whole time of his employment? If so what percentage?

Asked on 4/21/20, 9:03 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Unless you had a prenuptial agreement of separate property, any contributions to, or earnings from (eg. interest) any pension fund, including a 401K, is community property for Louisiana residents. What you need is a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). Contact your divorce lawyer who should know how to handle this. If you were unrepresented for the divorce, you probably need a lawyer now.

Read more
Answered on 4/22/20, 6:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana