Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

I live in Louisiana. My granddaughter was placed in state custody in october of 2010, in november of 2010 she was place in our custody (paternal grandparents) until permanent placement could be determined. In June of 2011 the court determined the permanent plan for her was relative placement and we were given legal custody. As of today neither biological parent has made contact nor paid support. I would like to know if after this amount of time have their parental rights been terminated and can I proceed with adoption without contacting them?

Asked on 7/10/18, 12:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Their parental rights probably have not been terminated, because the state almost never does that unless someone is primed to adopt.

You probably need a family law attorney anyway for the adoption. (S)he can check the records and verify whatever needs doing, including instituting termination proceedings.

Read more
Answered on 7/10/18, 12:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana