Legal Question in Personal Injury in Louisiana

My husband and I recently settled a personal injury claim on behalf of our minor daughter. The settlement was approved by the court with the order that the funds be invested on her behalf and we receive court approval for any use of the funds. A tutorship was filed with myself and my husband as tutor and undertutor, respectively. In addition, a minor's mortgage was placed on our home for the amount of her settlement. Was a tutorship required to be filed since we are her natural parents and are still alive and married? Is there any way to have this minor's mortgage lien removed from our home and/or have the tutorship filing reversed since we are her legal tutors anyway? Thanks for your advice!

Asked on 9/30/12, 2:21 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Martha Amanda Mandi Lucas Mandie Seale Lucas

You can request all of the above from the court, however, all of this was done to protect your daughter's interests as parents often dispose of minor's monies and make no accounting to the child.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/12, 3:11 pm
Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office


Read more
Answered on 10/01/12, 3:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Louisiana