Legal Question in Personal Injury in Louisiana

I live in Louisiana. My husband and I have a personal injury lawsuit against a major company for my husband's injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash. If I separate from my husband before the case is settled or goes to trial, are my rights protected or will my interest in the case be lost?

Asked on 11/12/12, 4:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Your rights are already lessened by the fact your marriage is in trouble. You can claim loss of consortium and affection, but you have none for him. If he lost community wages then you may have a right to half of that, but you are collecting from his injuries because of what YOU lost as a result of his accident. If you are leaving him, what have you lost?

Read more
Answered on 11/13/12, 3:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Louisiana