Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maine

My neighbor is encroaching (again) on my land. In 2009 I had the adjoining property line surveyed and had additional pins added and I added a boundary fence barrier. He has encroached again. I have spoken to him on 24 July 2017, 5 Sep, 17 Oct telling him to remove his personal property and junk. He tells me that he will do it, but he has not fully removed his stuff. What are my options?

I am also considering criminal charges for him damaging my boundary fence and for removing the survey pins.

Asked on 10/25/17, 8:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elliott Teel Teel Law Office

You can try to have the police come out to issue a No Trespass notice, but often the police will consider this just a civil matter. Your other option is to initiate a lawsuit against the neighbor for trespassing. You mention that the neighbor has damaged your fence and removed survey pins, both of which can be part of the claim. Prior to initiating a lawsuit, the neighbor might remove his junk if he receives a letter from an attorney letting him know his potential liability for his actions.

Read more
Answered on 10/25/17, 8:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maine