Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maine

if a will leaves the home to a friend as "life estate", that person decides after a while that she/he does not want to continue to take advantage of the "life estate" status, does he/she have to complete a form or go through a lawyer, etc to hand it over to the family which would happen if he/she died.

Asked on 7/01/16, 5:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elliott Teel Teel Law Office

It would be best to have the person sign and notarize a document stating that they are releasing the life estate. This would then be recorded in the registry of deeds to provide clear title. Having an attorney do this would be best. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Read more
Answered on 7/06/16, 5:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maine