Legal Question in Consumer Law in Maryland

my boyfriend went to buy a car. I was going to pay cash for this car and we are both on the title. They made him write a check for the amount due and they were going to hold the check for two days allowing me to bring in the payment and then they would destroy the check. He had to leave before we met with the finance department so I stayed and signed my part of the contract. He was listed as co signer and was going to sign his part of the contract on tuesday. They let me drive the car home. Well my funding for the car fell thru so I brought the car back the next day to return it. They said that I can not return it and that my boyfriends check would be put thru for payment and if it bounces they will charge him federally even tho he didnt sign his portion of the contract. Can they hold us to the car even tho the contract hasnt been signed by us both and both of our names are on it?

Asked on 8/29/10, 12:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

I would need to see any documentation that you or he signed regarding the car. I would also like to know who it is exactly that you are dealing with (reputable car dealership or used car lot). If you boyfriend did not sign a contract, they can't really come after him for breach. You should hire a Maryland attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation.

Best of luck.******The above is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*******

Read more
Answered on 9/03/10, 5:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Maryland