Legal Question in Consumer Law in Maryland

My son recently took his electric amplifier to a local electronics store to be repaired. The quoted price for the repair was $170.00 this was to include a non refundable $50.00 deposit, which my son paid at the time of drop off. Fast forward 2 months, my son has frequently checked on the progress of the repair. Finally after 2 months of waiting he goes into the store to inquire, the owner of the establishment indicates that he is unable to repair the amp. My son says, thanks anyway, I will just try to take it somewhere else for repair. The owner says, ok, that will be $170. My son (along with myself ) feels as though he should not have to pay the original estimate, as the amp is not repaired. The owner claims this is for his time and material.

Is this legal? Should I take him to small claims court?

Asked on 3/11/13, 6:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

File for the return of the property. The repairman will have to show proof of the material and may be able to charge for time to diagnose the equipment but if he did not repair it and it is in fact repairable then he does not have a persuasive case.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/13, 8:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Maryland