Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Maryland

I received a Warrant of Debt against my company from an unscrupulous party in Virginia. My company is located in Maryland where the work was also performed. Do I have to appear in Virginia for this..?? Doesn't the VA sheriff's office have to serve the papers to me here in Maryland..?? if so, how do I get it relocated to Maryland...???

Asked on 4/02/13, 2:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

You or a lawyer on your behalf (must be a lawyer unless it's small claims if you are a corporation) must appear to contest the suit. If you don't, judgment will almost certainly be entered against you. You may have a defense based on lack of personal jurisdiction, and technically you could default and then fight based on jurisdiction when they try to enforce the judgment in MD, but doing that prevents you from defending on the merits if you lose on jurisdiction.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/13, 3:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Maryland