Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My mother passed away with no will or any other possessions, except for her car. She left a vehicle in the driveway of a friend in Maryland. It has been sitting there for years. I just had it towed to a family member's house. The vehicle is titled in Florida, but she passed way in Maryland. Can I sell this vehicle? If so, how?

Asked on 4/14/23, 11:14 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

Generally, to sell property titled in the name of a deceased person you will need to open an estate and be appointed as Personal Representative. To open an estate one needs to file a petition with the Register of Wills / Orphan's Court.

You may wish to reach out to an estate attorney in Florida to see if they have a streamlined process for transferring vehicles if the vehicle is the only item of Florida property.

While not legal advice I hope that this general information helps!

Read more
Answered on 4/17/23, 6:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland