Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

my former husband just lost his job and was carrying us (myself and 3 kids) on his medical insurance. He is going to be getting unemployment and will be covered under mass health. My kids and I will not be covered under mass health because I have a full time job and can cover them under mine...the problem is for me to pick up my kids on my health insurance at the school I work at will cost me $550 a month for insurance and dental. Is he responsible for paying this $550 because it is written in the divorce agreement that he carry us?

Asked on 5/15/13, 2:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

The answer will really depend on the specific wording of your divorce agreement, and I recommend that you take it to an attorney for review. There are a number of options, for example, he may be required to cover you so long as he is employed, or for so long as he can do so without any additional cost, or he is responsible merely for the cost, regardless of whose plan the kids are under.

If your ex-husband is reasonable, you will want to see if you can both work something out to keep your kids on health insurance.

If possible, retain counsel.

Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 6:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts