Legal Question in International Law in Massachusetts

Hertz Rental in France

Herz is trying to collect 3900 euros from me for damage to car I rented in 2006 based on an unauthorized driver. My friend and I were hijacked from the car, I was driving but after the incident, I was so distraught that he had his sister pick me up while he went to the police station. On the report he indicated that he was driving so I have no way of proving to Hertz that I was the driver. I paid full insurance when I rented the car and also had Amex try to help me. Now a year and a half later they are trying to get the money from me. Is there anything I can do to protect myself.

Asked on 2/11/08, 7:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: Hertz Rental in France

First, if I recall Amex covers you for the claim if you use their card. I would check to see if they will cover you now.

Second, I would contact Hertz in the US and see if they will help resolve the matter, and contact the US State Dept about assistance in filing a corrected police report.

You may also want to talk to your insurance agent who handles your insurance here to see if either your auto insurance or your home insurance can help you here.

Otherwise, if you are sued in France you may have to obtain local counsel to object to the suit.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/08, 7:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Massachusetts