Legal Question in International Law in Massachusetts

While on a two week missionary trip to Syria a friend got drunk and ended up getting married to a Syrian man. She is back in the US, however, how does she get a divorce or annulment? The man is still in Syria and does not want a divorce.

Asked on 3/25/13, 7:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

The problem is jurisdiction. Since the Syrian man does not want the divorce or annulment, the problem is getting jurisdiction in another country. Your question is not one easily answered in a forum like this. You need a divorce attorney experienced in international divorces. I suggest you contact the Massachusetts Bar Association referral division and see if they can recommend someone to you. If not, I may know someone who can assist you with this. If you contact me directly, I will make a referral to another attorney who may be able to help you.

Read more
Answered on 3/26/13, 5:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Massachusetts