Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

Slumlord Nightmare. This is my first time renting ever in my life. Always been a home owner. I am physically disabled and I really feel like I am being taking advantage of. Water running in through the roof all over the floors for over a year before they would fix it. Mold growing, ceilings collapsing, they do not have gutters so in Winter ice freezes all over front step which is heaving up to one side. Already fell on my back and slid under bushes and had to yell for help for someone to get me. They took down a huge tree 2 years ago and left the huge holes in the back yard and I fell in one about 4 weeks ago; injured my back bad and have been to the doctors several times, have back brace now and starting physically therapy, they give keys out to workers to the house I am renting and I get messages that they will let themselves in which makes me scared because I have children. They do not maintain entrances/exits of home and do not care. The threaten and have other people threaten as well and yes I saved the calls and all the emails. If this is what people go through to rent then perhaps it is time for a change and a new Bill for Congress. I am in constant pain all the time now; renting is horrible!

Asked on 10/11/15, 7:59 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys


You can always file suit against the LL. There are several violations of the LL's responsibility. I don't know all the details but you can contact my office at anytime to speak about a case.

Read more
Answered on 10/12/15, 8:29 am

You can file a complaint with Housing Court against the Landlord. You can also call the Health Dept in your coute or town and ask that they inspect the property. The Health Dept. will issue citations for all violations of the health code.

Read more
Answered on 10/12/15, 11:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts