Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts

Distribution of deseased Personal property

My father died intestate 15 years ago. He had signed his house over to my sister. He also signed some stock to me and my brother. When I asked her at the time about distribution of personal property, she had a fit and wouldn't even hear me out. What happened was that she kept all the personal property . My parents bedroom set was put into the attic of the house my sister now owned. I asked her for it today and she said she has plans for it and that I couldn't have it. It's been in the attic for 15 years. Do I have any rights to claim any personal property? My brother said it's OK with him.

Asked on 6/08/05, 3:27 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Re: Distribution of deseased Personal property

After 15 years, it is doubtful you have any rights. If an estate was probated the probate orders control. If the estate was not probated at all, things can become complicated and expensive.

I would not bother unless the value of the bedroom set is that great to you. Alternative is to ask to buy it from her. It will probably be no more expensive than legal action

Good Luck

Read more
Answered on 6/09/05, 6:51 am
Joseph Murray Joseph M. Murray, Esq.

Re: Distribution of deseased Personal property

The language of the Will controls who gets the property. If it was given to your sister in the Will it is hers to do with as she chooses.

Read more
Answered on 6/08/05, 5:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Massachusetts