Legal Question in Criminal Law in Michigan

I am a 16-year old female in Michigan and I am going to have to testify against my ex-boyfriend in a statutory rape case. What happened was consensual and my parents are not pressing charges, the state is. Because I am of age now, is it possible for me to get the charges against him dismissed?

Asked on 10/02/17, 5:43 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

You cannot decide whether to drop charges. Only the prosecutor makes that call. You can read more at:

Read more
Answered on 10/02/17, 6:49 am
Jared Austin Austin Legal Services, PLC

No, what matters is your age at the time of the offense. The prosecutor may take into consideration your position, but at the end of the day it is their call to make. It may make a difference with plea deals or he may not have to register as a sex offender.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/17, 8:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Michigan