Legal Question in Criminal Law in Michigan

Bribery and Blackmail

Can you file a complaint against someone accusing them of bribery and blackmail? For example, a person is threatening to press charges for assault but will not press these charges if another person gives them their property.

Asked on 6/21/07, 2:43 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Charles Kronzek THE KRONZEK FIRM formerly Kronzek & Cronkright P.L.L.C.

Re: Bribery and Blackmail

You should call the police and report this.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/07, 9:10 am
William Morrison Action Defense Center

Re: Bribery and Blackmail

Before you get involved in any activity regarding this, you need to clarify your position.

Are you the person hoding the "property"? Are you being threatened?

If "A" assaults "B" and takes B's property, is A then aggrieved because B threatens to report the assault unless A returns B's property? Better tread carefully here. More facts are needed.

If A knows B has assaulted "C" and threatens to report B if B doesn't give A the property, this is extortion. But if A and B acted together in effecting the assault or its cover-up, A may be charged equally with B.

The vagueness of your question indicates you'd better give this more thought.

William Morrison

Read more
Answered on 6/21/07, 8:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Michigan