Legal Question in Criminal Law in Michigan

I got divorced, moved in with my folks, moved my stuff in with me, then they kicked me out of their house in a non legal manner (without proper procedures for my stuff) when I refused to pay rent (I was saving for a house) saying that they would "ship my things to me when I found a place to live". The first two times they came with a UHAUL I noticed that the loads were light and that my things were packed in different boxes. On the third trip (Dec 16th 2017) they just came to tell me that they had: "destroyed all my property" (about $30,000 worth). What kind of lawyer should I sue with? Is there a time limit to sue (Michigan) and can I get an estimate of about how much it will cost for the lawsuit? Is it better to wait when dealing with malicious destruction of property because the penalties get worse?

Asked on 2/23/18, 4:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

First step is to make a police report and see whether they are prosecuted. Second, meet with a general practice attorney as soon as possible. There are definitely time limits on litigation.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/18, 4:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Michigan