Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

Back in 2016 we bought a house in both of our names and sold the home that we lived in before that which was only in his name. I lived there since 2011 and had paid him toward the house payment and utilities during that time. When we used the profit from the sale of his house toward the downpayment on the new one, we verbally agreed that we would split the rest of the cost 50/50 and not worry about my "half" of the money from the sale of the old house (paying him back). We've almost always paid for things 50/50 which is why we actually had a discussion on this being okay with both of us. After that, we got married in 2017 and now are getting divorced. He plans to keep the house and I want my half of the value. I originally said I would settle for 20k which is a little less than I would be entitled to at a 50/50 split of the increase in home value and money we've paid on principle just to be done with things but he is trying to offer less and say that the money I gave him at the old house was only rent and that I owe him for half of the money down 37k total and that he'll give me 15k to walk away now. If I get a lawyer and take him to court, will our verbal agreement hold up?

Asked on 4/05/19, 9:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

You can read more about property division in Lansing divorce cases at:

Read more
Answered on 4/05/19, 9:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan