Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

my daughter is 16, 17 in April. She is looking to run away at 17, we live in Michigan. Can she legally do that and does she need my consent to be emancipated?

Asked on 1/24/10, 9:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Audra Arndt Audra A. Arndt & Associates, PLLC

Common sense dictates that a person cannot legally "run away." She is under your legal control until she is 18. She would not necessarily need your consent to file a petition for emancipation, however, you and her other parent are required to receive notice of her petition, respond and attend the hearing. There is a high standard a person must meet when requesting emancipation, and petitions are rarely granted, especially if the parents object, and there is no evidence of abuse or a severe unhealthy home life. Most teens attempt this due to general rebellion, which courts recognize and, therefore, are extremely hesitant to grant emancipation. You can look online at a michigan probate court's website for information regarding emancipation and what factors must be proven by the child for the court to even consider granting it, such as proof of the ability to support herself, proof of residency and someone to provide for her, proof of a job or other regular source of income, good reason to be legally divorced from her parents, supporting letters from a teacher, counselor or religious person (pastor), etc.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/10, 2:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan