Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

information pertaining to a minor

Is it legal for police in Midland, MI to send schools information about an MIP when the minor is 16 or under, without a release of information? My 16 year old received an MIP (no BAC was taken) and the police sent the school athletic dept. information telling the school about the MIP. My son was suspended from sports based on the info the police dept. sent the school even though we believe the ticket will be dismissed. This is a pending investigation regarding a minor.

Asked on 8/30/07, 9:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Aaron Miller Law Office of Aaron W. Miller pllc

Re: information pertaining to a minor

Yes, it is legal and it's fairly common practice throughout the state for either the court or the police to notify the schools.

Also, don't underestimate MIP convictions. That information will also go on his driving record (whether a motor vehicle was involved or not) and may affect your insurance rates.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/07, 10:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan