Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

Qdro for pension after divorce

I recently divorced and have worked for 12 years, which entitles my ex half of my pension for those years we were married. Is there another way to split this pension without paying for a qdro?

Asked on 7/14/09, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lesley Hoenig Lesley A. Hoenig, Attorney at Law

Re: Qdro for pension after divorce

Usually alternative ways are discussed as a way to avoid a QDRO before the judgment is entered. IE paying your ex a lump sum instead of a QDRO. If your ex is agreeable and you have the ability to do this, you could probably get your divorce modified to allow it, but if you have a pension instead of a 401k or the like, determining what his/her share of the value of your pension is is going to be pretty difficult

Read more
Answered on 7/14/09, 12:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan