Legal Question in Immigration Law in Michigan

I-130 and I-485

Recently I have submitted an I-130 and I-485. Now I have received a letter stating that I need to supply them with more information. #1 was that I give official IRS documents stating my income and employment over the last years. That I understood and am submitting. Although #2 was more confusing to me. It stated that I need to submit my wife's birth certificate and if not in english, it needs to be translated. I am confused because I did this. I gave them a copy of her birth cert from brazil, and also it translated into english from the government in brazil. My question is do you know if this is what they need? Does it need to translated here in the USA and not in Brazil? Or is it possible they lost it, and just need me to resubmit the same documents? If you need any further information please email me. I can give you my cell # as well. Any help you could offer or suggest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked on 4/02/07, 1:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Casterline Law Office of Brian C. Casterline

Re: I-130 and I-485

Tax doucuments are a very unusaual request. They are not usually required until the time of the interview. Any translation is acceptable if they accept it. They alone have the right to determine the veracity of the translation.. no specific requriment states that it must be traslated in the US, only that it be an accurate translation. Always remember you are dealing with the most dysfunctional agency in t he world. it is very possiblbe that they merrely lost the documents.

Please call if you have questions.


Read more
Answered on 4/03/07, 8:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Michigan