Legal Question in Business Law in Minnesota

Can I sue an institution for financial compensation for refusing to readmit me?

I enrolled in a Doctoral study, to be precise Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program at an institution back in 2012. The DBA program is designed to be completed in about three and a half years. Courses are design to include dissertation development, structure and completion within the 3.5 years.

After being in the program for 2 years, I had to drop out due to circumstances beyond my control. My family was faced with several hardshipówe lost our home just when our third kid was born. The financial hardship forced me to file bankruptcy. Because I have reached the maximum I could borrow in student loans, I did not qualify for a graduate plus loan either. I could not afford to pay for school at the time. So I dropped out. However, my grades are outstanding.

After being out of the program for about two years, I decided to go back to school and complete the DBA program to afford me better future. I contacted the school and informed them that I wanted to come back and complete the program. I completed FASFA and applied for graduate plus loan and got approved.

However, the School denied my remission. They did not state a reason in the letter but I talked to an admission representative and I was informed that it was basically because of the length of time I have been out of the program. I was told they will not accept me and I can apply to restart the program or just go to another school. With this rejection my educational future looks uncertain after putting in all the work, time and money.

This is an institution based in MN. Please advise.

Asked on 12/01/16, 6:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Anderson Anderson Business Law LLC


I would need to review all admission materials , catologues etc for potential Breach of Contract claim

Read more
Answered on 12/01/16, 7:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Minnesota