Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

can i change my statement i gave to police without getting in trouble?

Asked on 4/26/20, 11:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

It's important to understand that testimony in court is under oath and under penalty of perjury. So lying in court is a felony crime. Sometimes a police officer or prosecutor will threaten a misdemeanor charge against witness attempting to correct a mistaken, exaggerated or incorrect prior statement. But first, even if they did, that is a smaller crime than perjury; and they may be committing the crime of suborning perjury by coercing the witness. Second, even if they did make such a misdemeanor charge, the defense attorney may be able to knock it down. And third, such threats are almost always a bluff. If concerned, a witness can retain a witness lawyer for help in these situations.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/20, 5:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota