Legal Question in Criminal Law in Minnesota

neither me or my girlfriend wants a no contact order she is not afraid of me what happened was a mental heath issue that involved threats of violence and i am now going on medication and to therapy i'm not allow contact for 18 months, and that seems pretty extreme to me and her. the difficult part is we cant communicate to figure out a game plan to get rid of this. what would be my best course of action to get rid of this. i'm on house arrest now so i assume they wont lift it until after i go to court. if at all possible a phone call would be amazing so i can understand the process better. I can last a few weeks without her but 18 months seems way too extreme for consenting adults that want to see each other.

Asked on 5/09/20, 2:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas C. Gallagher Gallagher Criminal Defense

In Minnesota, we have different kinds of no contact orders. The "protected person" is in a better position to get them dropped, than the targeted person is. The targeted person has limited options. But if related to a criminal case, one of the best is hard work on, and progress over time with, anger management and mental health treatment. Sometimes the court will relax or drop the no-contact orders in a criminal case if the defendant makes significant, reported progress.

Read more
Answered on 5/09/20, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Minnesota