Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

I have full legal and physical custody of my 9yo daughter; her biological father has an Order (state of MN) for parenting time every other weekend. The Order includes the standard "right to be informed by school officials about the children's welfare, educational progress and status." Do I have a legal obligation to report to him, or answer his specific questions about, behavioral or social issues in school that do not affect her educational progress?

Asked on 3/04/17, 11:15 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tricia Dwyer Tricia Dwyer Esq & Assoc PLLC

We att'ys here are providing general legal info' to the public and your own chosen att'y may give you detailed legal advice and counsel for your personal issues (this is not legal advice here....). As a general principle, I urge people to read courts orders to which they are subject. Language tends to be plain and clear. Definitely folks come to me with issues about 'keeping the other parent informed' re. kids well being and there are ways to seek to address and correct any ambiguity or 'grey zone'. Newer MN law actually has special provisions aimed at helping the courts be able to address situations of conflict between parents. it's very imp' to know whether their is a history of domestic violence or other forms of abusiveness re. either or both parents and the kids.

Kids thrive in environments in which they know they are loved and supported, home lives that are filled with calm and nurture. Kids need nutritious foods, exercise, encouragement to do the very best they can at school, support to form healthy friendships and to be staying away from all 'people, places and things' that are toxic, poison, to a good life (EG, alc', MJ-pot, pills, other 'using', 'users'....).

Be the best role model for your kids that you can be.

Do confer with an att'y if you feel that some existing court order does not facilitate your child's best interests.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/17, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota