Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Minnesota

My ex and I bought a house about 7 years ago. Nothing is in his name and he contributed nothing but his half of the bills and mortgage, up until the very end when he redid flooring in two small rooms. Literally everything tied to the house is in my name only. We broke up last May and now he is demanding that I buy him out. Ultimately, he wants me to sell and give him half of the profits. Does he have any legal standing since we were together for so long? He can not show he contributed anything except essentially a rent payment, because he didn't. What can I do to protect myself and my property?

Asked on 1/23/19, 10:11 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Hellmuth Hellmuth & Johnson, PLLC

When you say "ex" I assume that you mean that you were never married. If you were married, the property must be awarded to you per a valid divorce decree. If you were not married, he basically has no claim against the title. However, he might try to assert a "quantum meriut" claim. You should hire an attorney to assess your rights. I would recommend that a sternly worded letter be sent to him denying his attempted claim. If you are looking to hire an attorney, my e-mail address is [email protected].

Read more
Answered on 1/23/19, 11:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Minnesota