Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Minnesota

Overdue repayment of loan, no written contract

Approx five years ago I loaned $4950 to a friend to help him start up his business. Our agreement was that he'd pay me back within a year and in return, I would be able to purchase goods through him at his cost. Unfortunately I did not get this in writing.

He ran into serious medical problems shortly after and also went through a divorce and his company had to close down. I cannot get ahold of him anymore to discuss repayment, he is not returning my requests for contact.

I do have proof of the money I loaned to him. He is in Dupage county, IL and I am in Ramsey county, MN. Do I have a small claims case against him and if so, can I file it in Ramsey or do I have to travel to IL?



Asked on 7/05/06, 9:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Anderson Anderson Business Law LLC

Re: Overdue repayment of loan, no written contract

If the contract was formed here, you could sue under the Long Arm Statute.

Call or e-mail for further assistance.

Read more
Answered on 7/05/06, 7:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Minnesota