Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Minnesota

I'd like to ask a free question. I did some construction work at a golf course and in lieu of cash, I was given a two year membership to the course, valued at $2400. I used the first year, however I don"t want to go back to that course because of the staff, conflicts, issues, etc. Can I leagally transfer my membership to a current member, a new member or can I ask for payment in cash? I'd prefer to sell it to a friend who is a current member. I have a contract for the work and payment but there is nothing stated about transfering membership. Can you please advise me?

Asked on 3/28/11, 5:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

Since you agreed to accept the membership instead of the cash there is probably little you can do without the approval of the golf course. You can ask to transfer the membership, but if it is going to a current member, the course is probably going to say, "no." It would be losing money that it would have otherwise taken in. You can ask for money, but once again the course is probably not obligated accept the change of payment. It really comes down to the terms of the contract. If your contract does not address the transferability of the membership, it is probably going to come down to what the golf course's membership agreement states. I am going to guess that memberships are not transferable.

Read more
Answered on 3/28/11, 7:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Minnesota