Legal Question in Personal Injury in Minnesota

Car accident with Independant contractor status

I was involved in a car accident when car turned in front of me making a left hand turn when I had the green right of way. My question is since I use my car as a independant courier. I'm I allowed to also get wages since the fact that I hurt my back and will not be able to work for about 8-12 months. My insurance company doesnt know I was using my car as a courier but I didnt have any markings on the outside of my car with the company logo and such. just my uniform shirt. I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. Will I have to pay the co pays for physical therepy. They will be running about 80 dollars a week. Thanks in advance for your response.

Asked on 5/14/05, 11:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Todd Johnson Johnson & Bannon

Re: Car accident with Independant contractor status

If you are an independent contractor it shouldn't make any difference. Workers compensation would apply first if you were an employee with your auto insurance paying for medical expenses under no fault as secondary. But since you weren't an employee your own auto insurance will pay all medical bills up to a maximum of $20,000. They would also be responsible for wage loss up to $250 per week if you are an independent contractor.

Although my office is not representing you, you should be aware that there are limits on the period of time you have to bring a claim for an injury like this. If you are going to be unemployed for that length of time you need to see a local attorney who handles personal injury matters.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/14/05, 3:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Minnesota