Legal Question in Personal Injury in Minnesota

injuried at motel

on august 5th, i was attempting to enter the motel. there was a sign on the door (which i have a picture of) keep door closed at all times. so as i am going into the building, i pulled the door behind me, and i think it was because the other entrance door was also open, created a heel was slammed in the door and cut very

deeply. i reported this to the asst manager the next day as the office was closed. i have no health insurance but some medical acquaintances that looked at it and advised me how to care for it. i have pictures of my heel. anyway it's now been 1 week later and it still bleeds if i bump it in anyway. i can't wear my shoe completely. the asst. manager did take pictures and took my info but that's it. what are their liabilities thanks

Asked on 8/16/05, 9:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Todd Johnson Johnson & Bannon

Re: injuried at motel

The motel most likely has what is known as med pay coverage on their insurance. This is money available to pay medical expenses incurred if someone is injured on the property regardless of whose fault it was. The amount of coverage varies from policy to policy but tends to be in the range of $500 to $5,000. You should contact the motel about this to discuss with their insurance company if you have any medical bills.

You have a right to bring a claim for fault against the motel if you can show that they did something that a reasonable person would not have done. I suspect that the door was not to be opened because of this problem with closing quickly. the sign they put up didn't adequately describe the problem. However, the injury you describe may not have a lot of value unless it is permanent in nature and impairs your ability to walk, for instance.

You can certainly talk to the insurance company for the motel about what happened and try to get them to pay something for the motel's fault or negligence.

Our office is not representing you on any matter but I hope this information has been helpful.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/05, 9:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Minnesota