Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Minnesota

Year's ago I had a will drawn up, but did not put anything about my house or car in the will. Can I write something up about house and car and have it notarized. Will that be legal until I have new will or a living trust made? Thank you.

Asked on 7/16/15, 1:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sam Calvert Calvert Law Office

You want to review the residue clause of the will. It will typically operate to distribute any asset, whenever acquired. So, if there is no specific mention of your house in the will, it will pass as part of the residue. If you want to have the house NOT go where the residue clause directs, you need to do something, such as a Transfer on Death Deed, or amending the will, or creating a trust to hold the assets.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/15, 2:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Minnesota