Legal Question in Workers Comp in Minnesota

My boyfriend slipped and fell while working he was on his way back to his truck to get materials and ended up fracturing his shin and ankle in multiple areas. While in the ER we found out that his employer does not have worker's comp and there is a possibility that he has no other insurance for the company. He is trying to say that he offered personal health insurance which was to expensive at the time to take that we are going to have to take care of things such as bills and what not ourselves. I have a baby coming in about two months so we need to take some form of action soon. What would you recommend we do to make sure the medical and loss wages get taken care of since there is no worker's comp and his employer just doesn't seem to care?

Asked on 3/02/10, 10:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Atkinson Thomas Atkinson

Fear not....I have had many clients in your boyfriends situation. There is workers compensation coverage for him even though his employer failed to obtain the same. There is a special program that I can assist him with. Give me a call as soon as possible.

Thomas Atkinson


[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/07/10, 10:48 am
Jerry Sisk The Law Office of Thomas Mottaz

If your employer is required to carry workers' compensation insurance, and did not, a government run insurance program, the Special Compensation Fund, would step in and pay benefits. However, most of the time the Fund will not voluntarily pay benefits. Therefore, I would recommend you contact an attorney or, in the alternative, contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Help Line at 1-800-342-5354 for assistance.

If I can be of any further help or answer any questions, please feel free to contact me at my office at (763)421-8226. Good luck.

Jerry Sisk

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 3/07/10, 8:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Minnesota