Legal Question in Family Law in Mississippi

My 22 week pregnant niece left florida after being kicked out by her boyfriend. He took the car, (which meant she last her job for not having transportation) money from bank account, and left her with nothing. She has moved to our house in Mississippi, and plans to stay here for the foreseeable future. He has told her that the plans to get custody of the baby when it is born. What can she do to protect herself and her baby? What would the process be is he plans to petition for custody? Would he file in FL or MS? He claims he wants shared custody so he won't have to pay any child support.

Asked on 1/26/16, 10:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anders Ferrington Anders Ferrington PLLC

Once the baby is born she can file an action for paternity here in Mississippi. That is her best option. Seek counsel

Read more
Answered on 1/26/16, 10:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Mississippi