Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

When my husband divorced his ex-wife, the judge gave him the houses, both of which are on the same mortgage. The deed is also still in both names. We live in Missouri-what seems to be the most backward legal state there is. Here is the question. My husband presently has no will. What legal standing do I have if he dies before me?

Asked on 8/07/11, 2:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Generally, when a person dies without a will. their surviing spouse splits their estate with the children that are not from the suviving spouse. As to the houses, you may have to sue to get the title to the houses cleared. But, the divorce decree may be ineffective after his death, so the ex wife may get the houses, if he does not clear this up beforehand.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 8/08/11, 11:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri