Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Missouri

Hello my mother passed away 2 yrs ago and we both lived in the property I am the daughter. I feel ill and the mortgage payment began to fall delinquent once the account was 4 or 5 months delinquent the account went into foreclosure at that time they told me that I didn't have access to this account when that is not true when I was the co-borrower on this account. Now there is a sale date of 06/02/2016 @ 2pm and this is ran in the Independence paper this is a Jackson county property, also this was filed 05/13/2016, my question is can I complete a Executor of Estate document and have it recorded on my own or do I need an attorney to assist me. they will not talk to me I need to save my home also they keep telling me that I need an Executor of Estate in order to gain access to the account before they will even talk to me, I don't knw what to do at this point any advise would be a great help. Thanks

Asked on 5/18/16, 10:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Unfortunately, in Missouri, you generally have one year from the date of death to open an estate. The are exceptions. Missouri didn't call them executors, but rather "personal representative." If you haven't handled an estate before, you should consult directly with a probate or real estate practice attorney. Many offer a free IR low cost initial consultation. Gather what documents you have, and see one very soon.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 5/19/16, 9:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Missouri