Legal Question in Family Law in Nebraska

Child Support Modification

My spouse recently received notification that his child support will be increased. The new amount will cause a financial hardship for us, and does not take into consideration that we have two children of our own to care for. Someone suggested he might be able to sever his parental rights and no longer be obligated to pay child support. I was wondering when or if this is an option for someone, and how do we go about getting the court system to reconsider their decision.

Asked on 1/27/03, 5:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Talana Sayre Talana Sayre, Attorney at Law

Re: Child Support Modification

First, the Nebraska Child Support Guidelines deduct monthly obligation amounts for other children from the total income applied to the tables. It is very likely that the amount ordered did take his other two children into account, but he may want to confirm that before his ability to appeal the order expires.

Second, it is possible to sever parental rights, but the mother would have to agree. Also know, generally, courts require that there be a new father willing to adopt upon severance.

It is probably in your best interest to consult with an attorney in your area to be sure the new child support amount is correct according to the tables.

Good luck!

Talana Sayre


Read more
Answered on 1/27/03, 6:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nebraska