Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Hampshire

In NH my mother was granted the home I grew up in in a divorce decree. It was to be signed over to her but he refused and disappeared. I know what town he is in now but not a definitive address. The decree was from 1996. What would the best course of action be to remedy this as the home was offered to me but with her ex husband still on the deed she would be unable to sell/transfer it to me.

Asked on 1/11/17, 7:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Skinner, III Associated Attorneys of New England

You have a couple options here...

1-Track down the person whose signature you need and ask him to sign. We could pull an investigative report which might help and if not recommend a private eye.

2- There is a court process by which you could obtain a Court Order to file at the Registry of Deeds which would stand in place of obtaining the signature you need.

Please feel free to be in touch to discuss your options. We can also help with the closing and transfer of the home if this works out.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/17, 3:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Hampshire