Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

grandparents rights

I'm a grandparent. My son sighned a paternity petition in NY Brooklyn Court and started paying child support. The grandson is 6, has had relationships with us for some time, and loves us but the mother would not let us see him because she says she doesn't trust us anymore. Our son is in San Francisco and comes here once a year. There is no visitation order for him, because ha had never petitioned. But if he does he still would not be able to come once a month to see his son. That's how often we would like to see him(at least) We live in NJ but a child support order is from NY. Where should we file a petition for visitation? Do we have a chance to win at least something without having our son(the father) around

Asked on 10/22/02, 2:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan J. Braverman Jonathan J. Braverman, Attorney & Mediator

Re: grandparents rights

The petition for GP visitiation must be filed in the State and County where the child resides.

The court will recognize that it is in the best interests of the child to maintain a relationship with his paternal grand parents.

If you wish to discuss this with me privately, please call to schedule a consultation.

I practice in NYC and Long Island.

If you wish to discuss this with me

Read more
Answered on 10/27/02, 9:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey