Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

Ex Husband left country again

Ex and I have joint legal physical custody. Neither having primary residence. Alternating 3/4 weekly schedule. Our son is 8. My problem is my ex took me to court for his school district because at the time I was renting with new husband and new baby and was not sure where we would buy a home. Our son originally started school in my school district which is where we finally did buy our house.To my regret ex got his school district. Problem is he now has been leaving the country for asia every month for 3 weeks each time. He is married to an asian woman. He will not leave me phone # or address . He says contact my mother she will contact me. We don't have a cordial relationship. This is the third time he has done this in the last 3 months. Now I am driving 40 miles a day to take my son to a school which ex isnt even there. The school bus stops at my driveway for my school district. Also the school where ex lives says I have no rights with them because i am not the sending resident. How can I get my son back for my school. And how can you have joint legal physical custody with someone who is out of the country every month and does not leave any provision for his son. Please help. Thank you.

Asked on 5/03/05, 5:24 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gleaner Robert A. Gleaner, P.C.

Re: Ex Husband left country again

It certainly sounds like you have a good argument to get the school changed to your school district. You would need to file a Motion showing this change of circumstance and establish to the Court that it is in the best interest of the child to change school districts. Keep in mind that this advice is based purely on the little bit of information that you have given to me. There certainly may be other factors that would change my opinion. Further, no one can rely on advice from an attorney who has not been retained. Since it appears that you have not retained an attorney, you may want to contact a Family Law/Divorce attorney (either me or someone else) to discuss your matter in more detail. Only then will you be able to rely on the advice. If you call me, [856-546-8010] mention Law Guru and your first one hour consultation will be free. Good luck! Rob Gleaner

Read more
Answered on 5/03/05, 5:36 pm
Gary Moore Gary Moore Attorney At Law

Re: Ex Husband left country again

Yoou statement sounds like an excellent reason for

a judge to order a change of your child's school district.

Gary Moore, Esquire

Hackensack, New Jersey

800 273 7933

Read more
Answered on 5/03/05, 7:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey