Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

My niece has 2 children from previous marriage. Ex-husband filed divorce in Florida in July 2017. She & children already lived in NJ for 9+ months because he threw her out during a hurricane; but Fla granted divorce & visitation agreement. NO ONE will address matters where ex husband & his attorney keep filing in Fla and demanding she respond, yet jurisdiction over children is NJ. How can Fla keep forcing NJ resident to respond with no jurisdiction? Even Fla judge said doesn't know why. She also had ineffective assistance of counsel, and didn't realize or understand any of that at the time. Ex-husband keeps relitigating to demand children visit him in Fla. She needs attorney who can get FLa to give up jurisdiction and help her file in NJ, we think? So confused and she's terrified they will remover her children from NJ.

Asked on 5/03/21, 2:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

It sounds like she needs a FL attorney. It is rare but possible to litigate different issues in different states. It is unclear if there is anything that needs to be done in NJ but if that's the case, feel free to call us at 1-888-982-4171 to discuss

Read more
Answered on 5/03/21, 2:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey