Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

We have a roomate in NJ that we do have a signed roomate lease agreement, but he is now trying to say he wont pay it because he's leaving on Dec 16th now and wants to pay a lower rate. He already owes late fees too. We've received nothing for this month and he's already threatened to just move out and pay nothing and we wont be able to find him. Half of his security deposit is already being used for damages so it will not cover the rent. How to I get him to not disappear or get him bound to a court summons before he vanishes? Every time I've tried to work a custom final payment arrangement to work with him, he just adds more deductions and will not agree to anything! Help

NJ small claims states we could have a case in these areas:

• Failure to pay rent (Roommate stated he's going through emotional state and can't pay rent)

• Continued disorderly conduct (Roommate cooks drunk and causes fires)

• Willful destruction or damage to property (Roommate destroyed pots/pans/cookware )

• Habitual lateness in paying rent. (Roommate late every month - once up to 15 days)

• Violation of rules and regulations, after written notice to comply, as outlined in a lease or other

document. (Roommate refusing to pay rent and late fees in accordance with the sign lease we have with him)

• Tenant's conviction for a drug offense. (No problem here)

Asked on 12/07/17, 9:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Corbett Corbett Law Firm LLC

You can file suit now in small claims (

Read more
Answered on 12/07/17, 10:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey